Friday, August 13, 2010

Action Research Reflection

Action Research was nothing like my first feelings about it. To be honest, when I saw research, I wasn’t excited at all, because I have done much research in the past and felt it would be more of the same. I must admit, it was so much more exciting. I now realize that action research is taking something we do daily and just expounding on the issues we feel the strongest about. I love the fact that the research can be ongoing and that it is applies to my questions.
Through the lectures and the readings in this course, I have learned how to go about conducting action research. I have learned that it starts off as just a wondering about an area of concern that grows into journaling and then on to research if it needs further investigation. Each assignment in the course taught me more about the process of research. I loved the fact that they gradually added more and more information in conjunction with the readings and lectures for the course, so that I never felt overwhelmed.
The readings were enjoyable and informative. In the book, Examining What We do to Improve Our Schools: 9 Steps from Analysis to Action, I enjoyed learning about the strategies for sustaining improvement in reading, especially Force Field Analysis and Nominal Group Technique, as expressed by (Harris et al 2010). These strategies for gaining consensus and looking at future needs were most interesting to me. I found them to be very logical and easy to carry out. I also gained much knowledge each week from the reading in the book, Leading with Passion and Knowledge by Nancy Dana. According to Dana (2009), “Simply stated, administrator inquiry refers to the process of a principal engaging in systematic, intentional study of his/her own administrative practice and taking action for change based on what he/she learns as a result of the inquiry.” This truly sums up the process of action research and I am anxious to conduct my own.
The discussion board was a great tool for me. I really enjoyed both reading others comments and having others give me feedback on my ideas. I believe great learning takes place when one receives constructive feedback. It was also helpful to realize that others struggle with many of the same frustrations or fears I had. It reassured me to see that I wasn’t alone, and that others sometimes felt unsure about different aspects of the course such as blogs initially.
My favorite part of this course was learning about blogs. I had heard briefly of them before this course. I think they are amazing. It is so wonderful to realize that I can post my feelings, insights, or ideas and have people respond and give me ideas and suggestions. I also loved learning about blogs because I had no idea how to create a blog. That was so much fun to me. I plan to use blogs in my classroom this school year and also suggest using them on my campus.
I can truly say that the combination of video lectures, readings, searches, assignments, discussion board, and blogs, I learned so many exciting new things about action research and am truly anxious to make action research a part of everything I do in future educational endeavors. I also think it would be beneficial on a smaller scale, to apply it to my role as a mother and wife.




Harris, S., Edmonson, S. & Combs, J. (2010). Examining What We Do to Improve Our Schools:
9 Steps from Analysis to Action. Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education.

Dana, N.F. (2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment